Design: Not so much a fan of the site design. The configuration of links and information on the home page is a bit overwhelming. And personally, I get frustrated when differing headings link to the same thing or when there are links on the side and within the main content that link to the same thing: I then feel I have to click on everything to make sure I see it all. For a place that by appearance seems very fresh, innovative, and exciting, I wish the site design was more creative and interesting to the eye. However, I do appreciate the imagery of artwork throughout the site.
Usability: Love, love, LOVE, that the address, number, and hours are on the front page, why can't everyone do this!? I also like that there is a link to "Getting Here" right away, on the main page. Very user friendly for those just coming to the site to find out where the center is and how to get there. Putting the "Calendar" link right below it on the main page, I also find to be quite helpful and smartly placed. Overall, the basics are very easily accessed, which for me gets 2 thumbs up, because I loathe how sometimes I feel like I search for ten minutes on a site, just to get a phone number.
Interesting thoughts, Amanda. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the site and found info, etc. easily. and I do understand the frustration of having apparently different links going to the same page. we'll try to get that fixed. i'm curious about your thoughts regarding the site design. do you have some suggestions for the site? what might make it more fresh?
ReplyDeleteI would be interested to hear what kind of "look and feel" you'd recommend for the site after visiting HPAC this evening! :) The confusing links you mentioned is an important usability issue. One one side of the coin, users are provided with multiple paths to a page (which could make life easier, i.e., there's more right answers); but then as you said, it could also become confusing and begin to feel cluttered. Have you come across any sites that do this (links on left column, and links repeated in main content section) in a way you think is more successful? I think it's a common trend.
ReplyDelete