Friday, February 20, 2009

Web Crit #4: Art Education 2.0 Network Network Network!

5th post since class this week, WhooHoo! I give myself a gold star! Hey, I need the self encouragement and patting on the back at this point, Thesis combined with C&I are slowly but surely deflating me.  Oh well, here is the final web crit for the week...

  • Content: Anything that gets educators talking and to each other, sharing ideas, information, and problem solving is a great thing in my opinion. I often think about the cushy group of support, resources, and commiseraters you have when you are in school, as we do in the Art Ed program at SAIC, and I am thankful I am not alone in this, not the only one struggling to make it, trying to understand how to put things together, and discovering new information at each turn of a corner. I remember in undergrad, professors warning us to take advantage of critiques and academic mentors and peers of the community in general, for you would not have this sense of community and resources for guidance and feedback in the real world. I also remember not really heeding their advice and really regretting it once out of school. The point of my extraneous tangent being: I think life as an educator can become quite isolating if people do not make the effort to be active in the community, and this site seems like a great way to counter that and become involved in the discourse surrounding arts education as well as the very changing face of arts ed in the realm of digital technologies. Unfortunately, it won't let me fully explore the site, without joining, but form the main page I have a good grasp of what the site encompasses. A Forum, Blogs, Photos, Videos, Activities, Interest-based groups, and a community of support makes me one happy educator...and serves my ADD tendencies well. 
  • Design: Easy on the eyes. Well, it definitely isn't bland, and I felt pleased immediately when the page loaded. There is a lot on the main page and scrolling down pretty far is in order, but I didn't seem to mind as I do on the SAIC Portal. 
  • Usability: Main Tabs delineate what goes where, and seems easy enough to find what you are looking for. When I can find something as entertaining and amazing as this within 30 seconds of perusing the page, I call that VERY usable! Aw, man, now I am going to be up for another hour voraciously watching all of these! Thank you Art Ed 2.o! 

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about regretting not taking advantage of the community and opportunities in undergrad when they were there. It's much the same way I felt, and why I tried to seize on to every single opportunity that did come up when I was in grad school.

    And absolutely, artists and teachers need community! You need the chance to sit and talk with each other and exchange ideas. Otherwise we don't grow as individuals and things can get stale real easy real fast.

    ReplyDelete